- 12 oz. bag pre-cut cabbage slaw
- 2 14 oz. cans diced tomatoes (one can drained, the other can not drained) You can use fresh tomatoes to cut down the sodium.
- 2 sweet sausages cut into small pieces (eraser sized pieces) I use nitrite free pineapple sausage from BJ’s at 140 calories each.
- 2 cups diced onions (I use frozen, pre-chopped)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine
- small sprinkle of reduced fat cheddar cheese
Put all ingredients except for cheese into crock pot and stir thoroughly. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Serve topped with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese. This dish takes 5 minutes to assemble and can be put together the night before. Using all pre-cut ingredients (except the sausage) really cuts down on prep time. Even though it contains sausage, this is dish is more veggie than meat.
Makes 6 servings. Each serving contains 137 calories, 2.6 grams of fat, .6 grams of saturated fat, 22 mg. cholesterol, 771 mg. sodium, 21.9 grams of carb, 2.8 grams of fiber, 8 grams of sugar, and 7.3 grams of protein.