- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds black plums, quartered and pitted
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pork tenderloin, cut into 1 inch thick slices
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoons olive oil to pan, and swirl to coat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add sugar and the next 8 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes or until plums break down and sauce thickens, stirring occasionally.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Sprinkle pork evenly with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Add pork to pan; sauté until pork reaches desired level of doneness, turning to brown on all sides.
Serve pork topped with barbecue sauce. This sauce can also be served on top of grilled pork. Pork chops can also be used.
Adapted from Cooking Light