As a basic life lesson, the things we practice are the things we become proficient at. If you set yourself up for success with long-term weight loss, you will be more likely to stick with it. Setting up your environment for success is one great way to help with this. Whether you are at home, grocery shopping, or eating out at a restaurant, you will have better success when you shape your environment.
- Clean out your pantry. Keep tempting snacks out of the house when you can and at least hidden from view when you can’t. Putting tempting foods in the back on lower shelves means that you don’t have to look at them every time you open the refrigerator.
- Always have leftovers of healthy foods you enjoy. Whenever you cook, always make more than you need. That way, you will never be without at least the potential to make a healthy choice.
- Keep some kind of healthier alternatives available for unexpected cravings. It can be as simple as keeping frozen banana wheels with dark chocolate almond butter in a Tupperware container handy for a “sweet emergency” or roasted almonds for when you are craving something salty.
- Always pack a small, insulated bag with healthy, filling foods to keep you on track. Apples, Barney Butter packets, boiled eggs, 100 calorie packs of nuts, cheese sticks, roasted edamame, veggies and hummus or guacamole are great snack ideas when you are traveling.
- Know the best restaurants. If you are familiar with the best choices from a handful of restaurants, you will at least have a few choices that you can make without thinking. When in doubt, choosing protein and veggies is always best. Simple alterations like asking for a lunch portion or taking the top bun or bread off of a sandwich can also help you maintain your healthy eating plan while traveling.
At Social Events:
- Whenever possible, take something with you to share. If you like raw vegetables, then take a veggie tray. If you don’t really enjoy them, then take something else that you will really like that you will enjoy sharing with your friends.
- Eat before you go. Whether you are dining at a restaurant or going to a party, having a boiled egg, some lean sandwich meat, or something else small and high protein can help resist the minefield of temptation. Even though it may feel like you are eating MORE, you really end up eating LESS when you are not starving and can make rational decisions.
- No matter what situations typically derail you, FAILING TO PLAN IN PLANNING TO FAIL, so be prepared.
STEP(S) FOR THIS WEEK:
- Think about ways in which you can set the situations in your life up for success. Take some time to read the ideas above and implement as you see fit. Come up with some of your own to help you start SHAPING YOUR ENVIRONMENT FOR SUCCESS!