- 2 red bell peppers — seeded and quartered
- 1 large sweet onion — peeled and cut into 1/2 inch wedges
- 2 cloves garlic — peeled and halved
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 can low sodium chicken broth — 14.5 oz.
- 1 can tomatoes — Italian style in juice
- 1 can corn kernels — drained
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, whole — or coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves for garnish
freshly ground pepper
Preheat oven to 400°
In a 13×9 inch baking dish, combine the peppers, onion, garlic, thyme, and olive oil and toss to coat the vegetables. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and lightly browned. Cool slightly. Stir in the chicken broth and tomatoes with juice. You can also use a jar of roasted red peppers, drained if you dont have fresh.
Working in batches, puree the mixture. Transfer the puree to a large saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Add the corn and simmer about 3 minutes, until heated through. Season to taste with pepper. Ladle into bowls, garnish and cilantro or basil, if desired, and serve.
When I make this, I use my immersion blender and puree it in the saucepan.