- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil or olive oil
- 2-3 slices bacon (nitrite free if possible), sliced into very small pieces
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 3 cups trimmed and halved mixed mushrooms, such as chanterelle, oyster, black trumpet and/or cremini (baby bella)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh sage
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add bacon. Cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown (3 to 5 minutes). Add shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and browned (3 to 4 minutes).
With a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon and shallots to a plate lined with a paper towel to drain.
Remove about half the fat from the pan. Return the pan to medium heat. Add mushrooms. Cover and cook, stirring once, until the mushrooms release their liquid (3 to 4 minutes). Uncover and cook until the liquid evaporates, about 1 minute. Add water and scrape up any browned bits.
Return the bacon and shallots to the pan and cook for about 1 minute. Stir in sage, salt and pepper. Serve warm.