- 1 medium eggplant, peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 lb zucchini (2 medium), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (1/2-lb) sweet apple such as Fuji or Gala, peeled, halved, cored, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (28-oz) can diced tomatoes with about 1/2 of the juice poured out
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil about 5 minutes in a heavy, 5 quart pan. Add eggplant, red pepper, apple, and onion and cook over low to moderate heat for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add canned tomatoes, salt, pepper, and lemon juice and cook an additional 10 minutes.
This makes a great side dish or can be a vegetarian meal when served over quinoa.